The Anchor
The Anchor in the 1950s

The “Anchor” was first mentioned in Parish records in 1806, but the building is much older than that. Meetings of the Overseers were held alternately at the “Hen & Chicken” and the “Anchor”. This picture dates from the late 1940s or early 1950s.
The picture of the new Ford Prefect outside the Anchor was taken, we believe, in the late 1950s, and was in a collection of slides that belong to the daughter of Orlando Olivieri (back to car) who was the butler at Mill Court, a large house just inside the Binsted Parish boundary, between 1952 and 1977.
The Censuses show “The Anchor” in 1851 and from 1871 onwards - in 1861 it is referred to as Public House. In 1841 it seems that there was a butcher living there.
The modern picture was taken in 2008 and shows that, despite a recent fire and refurbishment, there is very little change in nearly 60 years.


Outside The Anchor in the 1950s
The Anchor in the 1950s

The Anchor in 2008