Builder's Marks
Pat Wood, whose Mum lives in Holmwood Cottage, has sent this photograph of the builder’s mark on the front of the building - W C 1740. The initials ring a bell - one possibility is William Chandler, the Chandler family originally owned land in the area in the early 1700s, and the other is William Cager, as the Cager family are also mentioned in documents associated with Lower Froyle Shop, which is adjacent to Holmwood Cottages.
However, at the moment, we have no definite proof.
Holmwood Cottage
To read a transcript of the Lower Froyle Shop documents, follow the Documents menu item below.