Five Cottages
Five cottages
These cottages, built in 1724, were demolished in 1962 by order of the Alton Rural District Council. Two modern houses were built on the site and much of the material from the cottages was used in their construction.
Lilian Smither wrote-
“They all had ample gardens, well stocked with vegetables and fruit trees and at one time were well cultivated and tended............There were two wells, one inside the second cottage and one in the garden, which served all the cottages until the water main came to the village in about 1937. One can imagine the gossip which went on around the wheel and bucket of those old wells. The sanitary arrangements in the garden were, of course, quite inadequate.”