|Froyle Place, like all ‘Big Houses’,
had large gardens and these needed quite a team of gardeners
to maintain them.
In the period 1928 to 1933 the Head Gardener for Colonel Innes
was Mr.F. Horn. He lived at Gothic Cottage in Upper Froyle, and
two of his sons, Colin & Derek, came to the Froyle Village
Reunion in June 1999.
They brought with them some of his notebooks in which he recorded
his plans and planting of the gardens.
The picture above is the entrance drive to Froyle Place today - Froyle Place is now Gasston House of the Lord Mayor Treloar School. The drawing on the left is Mr. Horn’s design for the planting of the border in 1929. Currently both sides of the drive are laid to grass. The other page is his list of plantings for that particular border.
The Horn family lived in Gothic Cottage and this photograph (right), taken in 1933, shows Colin, Derek and their mother on the front steps of the cottage.