Froyle House
Froyle House 1912

Froyle House 1998

Froyle House in Upper Froyle is today the headquarters of the Treloar Trust. The old picture was taken in 1912 and the modern one in summer 1998. There are quite a few visible changes between the pictures:-
  • The glazed verandah has been demolished
  • The roof line of both the main house and the rear extension has been tidied up considerably.
  • The exterior has been painted.

The house was Grade 2 Listed in July 1963. English Heritage gives the following information:-
Froyle House 31/07/63 II Large house and service wing, the house used as offices, and the wing as flats. Built for Thomas Burmindham 1820. Stucco, with a low pitched hipped slate roof. 3-storeyed almost square, block,of a severely classical form with symmetrical elevations. Front (south-east) of 1.3.1. windows, the features have only slight projection; projecting centrepiece, thin coping to a shallow parapet, plain band, 2nd floor moulded band, continuing as a cornice in the centrepiece, above a plain frieze and 4 short pilasters with moulded caps, and plain base (continuing as a plinth to the 1st floor level), 1st floor moulded cill band, which continues in the centrepiece as the cornice to a dentilled entablature, above 4 pilasters with moulded caps and bases, plain plinth; the ground floor openings extend to plinth level, the side windows having above them a cornice on brackets. Casements. Plain doorway, with double doors of 3 panels. The south west elevation has 4 windows, although the centre has been altered by the later insertion of a splayed bay with a slate roof; the other ground-floor windows are of lesser height (than those of the front) the space above containing plain panels. The north-east elevation is similar not as wide but still of 4 windows (some now filled as panels but the others with sashes); set back at the north side in an angled unit, containing a tall round-headed staircase window. The rear (north-west) elevation is divided, but the return face from the south west corner has 2 wider windows, and there is a large French window (of 3 lights) below a cambered opening; at the east side is a loggia linked to the service wing. The service wing is an L-shaped block extending from the north corner; it has 2 storeys and irregular fenestration. Hipped slate roof, painted brick walls, sash windows, and an entrance at the junction with the main block. Inside the main block, the plain staircase is original, and also doorways and some plain marble fireplaces; the hall has a marble floor.
Information from English Heritage, Images of England