The Manor House
The Manor House before 1905 The manor House 2001
Manor House window Until 2011 part of Treloar’s, the Manor House was once the ‘home farm’ for the estate. It was built before 1730, but we don’t have a precise date. The ‘old’ picture is one of Mr. Varney’s postcards and was taken before 1905 as the actual card is postmarked 24th December 1905. The modern picture was taken on June 13th 2001.
  • The dormer windows in the roof have been enhanced and another added.
  • A small extension has been built on the left of the building.
  • The roof of the extension on the right has been raised and two windows and a chimney added.
  • A window has been re-instated on the first floor above and to the right of the front door. You can see the original window outline in the enlarged picture on the right.

The house was Grade 2 Listed in July 1963. English Heritage gives the following information:-

Manor House 31/07/63 (Formerly known as Froyle Manor) GV II* House. C17, with extension and changes of c1900. Brick walls and tiled roof. Queen Anne house, with alterations in matching style. Front (south-west) of 2 storeys and attic, 2.1.3 windows, with a lower wing to the south of 2 storeys 2 above 1 windows, and a north wing (c1900) of 1 storey, 2 windows. Roof hipped at the north side, with 3 Edwardian dormers, and fully moulded modillion cornice. Red brickwork in Flemish bond, rubbed flat arches, plinth; the projecting entrance unit is not central, and a round-headed staircase window is immediately to its north side. Sashes in exposed frames. Plain door frame, enclosing a decorative fanlight, with a moulded canopy on brackets, and 6 panelled (4 top glazed) door. The south wing is C18 in its lower part and c1900 at the 1st floor; casements, and panelled door at the rear. The rear has wings at the outer sides of different dates, and smaller attachments to the recessed central part, which has some original details (including a mullion and transom window). Inside, there is an early C18 staircase with 3 panels on the underside, painted with landscape scenes; several rooms have pinewood panelling with bolection mouldings, and there is some C17 (painted)oak panelling. Above the front door is an arched canopy above a statue of a saint (c900).

Information from English Heritage, Images of England