|Froyle Cottage was the Dame School for Upper Froyle until 1868. Internal fittings of the house point to a date about 1790 for its construction, and a largish room projecting at right angles was the schoolroom. It is in contrast to the Church school, in the thirteenth century style, completed in 1868, which used to be mistaken by visitors for the church. There was a Dame School at Lower Froyle before 1856 - most likely in Hussey’s Lane. In that year Henry Burningham built the school room which stands at right angles to the main building of Froyle Cottage. It was built as a memorial to his son, Francis Carleton Burningham, who died aged 7 in 1856. When the new Church school was opened in 1868, seventy two children were admitted. How they had taught 72 children in that room is a mystery. Probably other rooms of the Cottage were used. Mr. Burningham’s coachman lived at Froyle Cottage, and his daughter (the coachman’s), was the school mistress.