Froyle Cottage
Froyle Cottage (old)

Froyle Cottage 2001

The old picture was taken in the 1940s and the modern one in March 2001. Froyle Cottage is a listed building and belongs to the Treloar Trust. As a result there are few, if any, visible changes in the 60 years between pictures:-
  • The exterior decoration has been changed (white front door).
  • The rendering on the ‘schoolroom’ has been removed.
  • There was major refurbishing in the mid 1990s - mainly to the interior.

The house was Grade 2 Listed in July 1963. English Heritage gives the following information:-
Froyle Cottage 31/07/63 II House. Mid C18, 1856, and early C20. Brick with a tile roof. Symmetrical front (south east) of 2 storeys and attic, 5 windows. Hipped roof, brick dentil eaves, 2 flat-roofed dormers with sashes. Red brick walls of Flemish bond, 1st floor bond (broken in the centre), rubbed flat arches, plinth. Sashes in exposed frames. C20 brick porch, with fluted pilasters and 6-panelled (2-top lit) door. To the east side there projects a single-storeyed wing (added in 1856 as a schoolroom), with part-flat part hipped-slate roof, brick walls with rubbed flat arches, plinth, stone cills, 2 tall sashes in reveals facing the forecourt. There is a C20 rear wing (forming part of the south-west elevation) in matching style. On the upper wall, between the 1st and 2nd bays, is an arched canopy on brackets, sheltering the small statue of a saint (c1900).
Information from English Heritage, Images of England